If you’re not already familiar with the Pumpecapple Piecake, allow me to introduce you. It’s a 24-pound dessert that has three layers of cake that are each stuffed with pie. In other words, it’s everything good about Fall desserts wrapped into one, and it’s like a Thanksgiving pie on crack. The whole thing measures at 11 inches tall, and what you’ll find on the inside is a layer of pumpkin pie baked in a spice cake, pecan pie baked in a chocolate cake, and apple pie baked in a spice cake. Each layer is filled with the same cream cheese frosting that coats the outside, and the final toppings are pecans and caramel drizzle.
Who’s the ingenious mastermind behind this hybrid? As much as I would like to take credit for it, it all goes to Three Brothers Bakery in Houston, TX. The family-owned and award-winning bakery has been open since 1949, and out of all its baked goods, the Pumpecapple takes the cake. Or should I say pie? Clearly we needed to get our hands on this monstrosity and give it a taste.
Here’s what some POPSUGAR co-workers thought about this completely out-of-the-box treat they spotted in the kitchen.
- “The cream cheese frosting and caramel drizzle is making this cake? Pie? For me, I’m not a big cake person, but I’m into this.”
- “A whole slice is a lot to handle, but I would tooooootally serve this at Thanksgiving, even if just for the novelty factor! Why choose which Thanksgiving dessert you want when you can have a little bit of everything?”
- “I think it’s a really fun spectacle, but taste-wise I’d be happier with either a cake or a pie. The pie got a little lost in the cake, and the cake wasn’t as moist as I would normally prefer my cake.”
- “I don’t enjoy sweets very much but thought this was quite good. I would definitely bring it to my family’s Thanksgiving, as we have over 30 family members and I think it would be a huge hit!”
- “Such overload! I’d like to see a family try Thanksgiving with that and Turducken. The apple pie was the best part.”
- “Super good and definitely has that wow factor to impress guests! The chocolate and pecan layer was my favorite!”
So there you have it. It’s undeniably impressive and so, so satisfying. The rich cream cheese frosting isn’t overly sweet, and it balances out each layer of pie-cake. Each bite tastes just like Grandma made it. What I haven’t mentioned yet is the price – one cake will set you back $ 250, but it’s way more than enough to feed a huge family. If you don’t live near one of the Three Brothers Bakery locations, you can get the Pumpecapple Piecake shipped frozen, and all you have to do is defrost it. Would you forgo the baking and serve this at your Thanksgiving dinner?