Last week I kick-started a healthy Fall at the Tone It Up Retreat in Dana Point, CA, in which I followed up a nutrition class with one (maybe two) of these insanely delicious pumpkin pie bars. I saw them sitting on a table across the grass from me and made a B-line for pie. Priorities.
When I realized that they were healthy, I grabbed another was totally stunned. Come to find out, these delectable, smooth-and-creamy, pumpkin-spicy treats were dairy-free, packed with protein, and gluten-free. Cue: all the enthusiasm, and me demanding a recipe.
The creaminess comes from decadent (and totally healthy!) coconut milk, while the sweetness comes from dates, and the rich Fall flavors come from classic pumpkin and cinnamon. The protein? From good ol’ protein powder, which you truly can put in everything. Even pumpkin pie.
The best part of all of this? You’re eating pumpkin pie!
This recipe uses Perfect Fit Pumpkin Spice Protein Powder, but you can substitute with your favorite vanilla or plain protein powder
1 cup oats
1 cup pumpkin seeds
1/4 cup coconut oil
2 tbsp maple syrup
Pinch of salt
Pumpkin Pie Filling:
2 cup pumpkin puree
1/2 cup coconut milk
6 pitted dates
2 scoops Pumpkin Spice Protein
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp pumpkin spice
1/4 tsp salt
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees, and grease 8×8 pan with coconut oil.
- Place pumpkin seeds and oats in a food processor; grind into small pieces.
- Pour into a mixing bowl and add salt. Stir, then mix in coconut oil and maple syrup, until a sticky dough forms.
- Pour mixture into pan and press hard and evenly. Pre-bake for 8 – 10 minutes.
- While the crust is baking, chop dates in a food processor with a tablespoon of water.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine dry ingredients.
- Add in wet ingredients, then fold in dates.
- Pour mixture over crust and spread evenly.
- Bake for 35 – 40 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let cool for 10 minutes.
- Place in fridge for 6 – 8 hours or overnight to set.
- Cut into small squares, and enjoy!
- Desserts, Pies/Tarts
- North American
- 16 bars or slices
- Cook Time
- 1 hour cook time, 6 – 8 hours chill time