Rainbows aren’t just for Lisa Frank fans. When it comes to eating healthy, plating up a rainbow of foods ensures you’re getting a variety of vitamins and minerals – different antioxidants create the different colors in fruits and veggies. This salad features a rainbow of roasted veggies loaded with flat-belly benefits for a nutritional win win.
For the salad:
1/2 red pepper, julienned
3 petit carrots, quartered lengthwise
1/4 acorn squash, sliced thin
1/2 yellow squash, sliced into rounds
1/2 zucchini, sliced into rounds
1/4 red onion, large dice
4 sprigs thyme
1 teaspoon coconut oil
1 boneless chicken breast, butterflied
1/4 teaspoon pepper
4 cups spinach
2 tablespoons pumpkin seeds
For the dressing:
2 tablespoons plain greek yogurt, non-fat
1/2 lemon, juiced
1 teaspoon lemon zest
1/4 teaspoon olive oil
1/4 teaspoon chives, chopped
1/8 teaspoon turmeric
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 tablespoon water
- Preheat oven to 400°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Cut vegetables into similar sized thickness and lay vegetables out on baking sheet. Break up thyme and sprinkle on top of the vegetables. Roast vegetables for 35 minutes until soft and cooked through.
- While the vegetables are cooking, heat up a skillet over medium heat and add coconut oil. Slice chicken breast in half lengthwise and season lightly with pepper. Cook chicken breast for 4 to 5 minutes on each side or until the internal temperature reaches 165°F. Remove from heat and let cool. Cut chicken in half and slice.
- To make dressing: Mix together yogurt, lemon juice, lemon zest, olive oil, chives, turmeric, cayenne, and water until thin enough to pour. If it’s a little thick, add a touch more water, 1/4 teaspoon at a time.
- Assemble 2 plates with spinach, top with roasted vegetables, 4 ounces of chicken, and a sprinkle of pumpkin seeds. Drizzle with dressing and enjoy!
- Main Dishes