Being Latina, I always like to inject a bit of Latin flavors into my holiday picnics. I like to mix things up a bit! Sometimes picnics can be a challenge; you want variety, but you also want it to be easy and delicious. Today, I bring you two Latin flavors, which combine to create a delicious grilling sauce that will add a bit of heat and sweetness to your Fourth of July outdoor eating experience: coconut milk and habanero sauce! The taste of these two ingredients will leave your guests asking for more.
The pork cubes are marinated in a citrus sauce for at least six hours. Then comes the fun part: assembling the skewers.
The skewers are a beautiful display of color contrasts, alternating meat, cherry tomatoes, red onion, and mango chunks. Very pretty! All this is then grilled and brushed with the coconut-habanero marinade to absolute perfection. These skewers will go great with any side dish. I like them with rice!
3 tablespoons cilantro, chopped
3 garlic cloves, minced
3/4 cup orange juice
2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 tablespoon agave nectar
2 pounds pork loin, cubed
For the grilling marinade:
1 13-ounce can coconut milk
1 tablespoon habanero sauce
1/4 teaspoon allspice
1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
2 tablespoons agave nectar
2 tablespoons chopped parsley
Red onion, in chunks
Mango, in chunks
- In a small bowl, mix cilantro, garlic, orange juice, apple cider vinegar, salt, and agave nectar.
- In another bowl, mix together coconut milk, habanero sauce, allspice, Worcestershire, agave nectar, and parsley. If you have an immersion blender, use it to blend all ingredients. Cover and set in the refrigerator until ready to use.
- Cut pork into cubes and place in a glass dish. Pour orange juice mixture over it. Cover and place in the refrigerator for at least 6 hours.
- Make skewers, alternating between meat, cherry tomatoes, red onion, and mango chunks. Discard the orange juice mixture.
- Preheat the grill to 400°F.
- Cook skewers for about 8 minutes on each side. Brush with the coconut-habanero marinade while grilling.
- Main Dishes, Pork
- South American
- Cook Time
- 16 minutes